Wednesday 3 July 2013

Party in the U.S.A.


As it's almost 4th July, this seems like the perfect time for this post. As is hinted at in the title of this blog, and the silly number of entries in my 101 list dedicated to visiting there, I am pretty obsessed with the USA. I'm not really sure what it is - most probably it has something to do with the ridiculous hours I have wasted watching (mostly trashy) American TV shows and films: Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Saved by the Bell, Clueless, Seinfeld (redeems the list a tiny bit), The Hills, Sex and the City, Man vs. Food - you name it, I've watched it.

Although I've been to America a fair few times, it has mainly been tourist-centric areas like Disney World, Las Vegas, New York..., and so not what you could call 'truly American' I don't think. I've just read Stephen Fry in America and, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend the book, it has definitely sparked my desire to pack up and see all 50 states. Like, now.




Anyway, as that isn't really an option at the moment, I'm very happy that my obsession is not particularly niche and it seems that every week a new US-inspired bar, event, restaurant or shop appears in London or we're simply graced with a brand that has previously been reserved for our Yankee counterparts (Victoria's Secret, anyone?!).

This summer, I'm particularly excited for these things to get my fix...

Truck Stop London - The food truck market seems to be massive in America right now (again, I am basing this on TV/films that have told me this), and the mixture of lots of great US delicacies like Mac'n'Cheese, BBQ, Southern fried chicken, a classic diner and lots of alcohol seems too good to be true.

Shake Shack - The New York 'roadside' burger has finally reached London and, having walked past the huge queue in Covent Garden, it seems like I'm not the only person who's excited. As a pescatarian, I realise this is a weird thing to be excited about, but, hey, I'm a sucker for American brands!

Beer-pong tournament - The best thing about the 'Frat Party' at Sports Cafe, Soho, has to be the heady mixture of red solo cups, beer and ping pong balls that seems to epitomise every American college film.

The King of Ladies Man - Although the speakeasy market is pretty saturated right now, having already visited the Mayor of Scaredy Cat Town and (as far as I can remember...) having a pretty good time, I'm keen to see how the Battersea 'The Breakfast Club' compares with the Shoreditch version...

If anyone has any other recommendations of how to live out my American dreams in London, lemme know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment